Pocono Services for Families and Children provides comprehensive support services for our community's most vulnerable young children and their families in Monroe County, to promote success in school and life. A nonprofit agency, PSFC has been serving our community for more than 45 years. We have grown from humble beginnings as a six-week pilot educational program in 1965 for 12 children on the campus of East Stroudsburg University. Our agency now serves nearly 250 children and families in high quality, certified programs at seven sites and 14 classrooms in strategic locations around Monroe County. We have earned a Keystone STAR 4 rating, the highest in Pennsylvania, and are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
To better meet the varied and unique challenges of low-income and disabled children in our community, PSFC continues to expand services and implement new programs to support this fragile population. Research proves a $7.00 return on each $1.00 invested in early childhood education.
PSFC’s major programs and services include the following:
- Head Start of Monroe County provides high quality pre-kindergarten learning, health, family services and disabilities services to low-income families with children ages 3-5 years throughout Monroe County.
- Pre-K Counts classes are offered at both our East Stroudsburg and Mountain Centers.
- Full Day Child Care classrooms are offered to support working parents and those receiving subsidy. They are available in Coolbaugh Township and East Stroudsburg.
- Parenting Education Program provides assistance and supports parents who are struggling with challenges in parenting their children.
- Youth Mentoring Initiative provides area youth interested in a career in childcare with training and opportunities to mentor children enrolled in PSFC programs.
- PSFC Scholarship Foundation provides scholarships for income-eligible preschoolers and graduating high school students who began their educational journey at Monroe County Head Start.
- Health Literacy Training furnishes first response training and first aid kits to families in an effort to ensure appropriate healthcare choices to meet their children's medical needs.
- The Bridge to Learning provides a 12-week summer "school readiness" program for parents and children entering kindergarten in the fall.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world. "